Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ramblings

January 31, 2008

Knowlton’s Notes: Ramblings

While I have tried to have a theme to each of the articles I have recently written for the Trojan times this time is different. There are so many ideas, thoughts, and issues that make my life as president of this dynamic institution incredibly stimulating. So for this issue I have decided to briefly write about three thoughts running through my head.

Study Abroad
I have had the good fortune to travel abroad (Iceland, England, Scotland, France, Italy) and each time I have returned a different person. Any type of study abroad or just travel to a foreign country is a life changing experience. I wish that there was some way to subsidize more student travel or ways to convince students of the importance of these types of experiences. Not only are they life changing, but in this global economy, these experiences are resume builders. Employers are increasing looking for people that have had more global experiences and can function in this international workplace.

Dr. Nancy Moose and her husband Roger lead a fabulous study trip to England, Scotland and France. I had the opportunity along with my son to travel with them and a group of DSU students. They are incredible guides and facilitators of the experience. I would encourage students to contact Dr. Moose if you have any interest in expanding your resume, your experience and your perceptions of the world.

Responsibility for Learning – okay this is definitely a rant!
As the person of last resort when a student needs to appeal a suspension etc., I get a chance on rare occasions to visit with students who want to make a case for returning to the university. Each time I make a decision about the appeal very early in the process. If the student immediately launches into a litany of excuses for performance, noisy roommates, problems with boyfriend, computer problems the odds of getting a favorable appeal decision are just about zero! If the individual start to discuss with me their own responsibility for their performance and how they have developed a plan to improve, then I start listening.

One of the most important lessons I have learned in life is the need to take responsibility for one’s own life, particularly one’s own learning. It is not about the instructor, the book, the time of the class, the subject matter. It is all about me and my attitude. I have been in a situation of sitting through the most unbelievably boring lectures and or presentations. It was not until I really came to grips with my own drive to learn was I able to approach almost every situation and experience with the attitude “What can I learn from this”. Then I can focus my interest and my attention and even in these situations find something that is valuable in the presentation. When I was in graduate school I was required to take 4 semesters of statistics – math not being my favorite subject – I dreaded this requirement. But I learned to motivate myself and worked on my attitude. During those four semesters I got three A’s and a B. My greatest wish for students at DSU is that they find a way to have an attitude that generates excitement about every opportunity to learn!

Appreciating Diversity
I am clearly most comfortable when I am surrounded by people who are a lot like me. Yes – that is a fact and is probably true for most of us. I also know that there is richness in experiences that bring me into contact with people who are different from me. Whether that individual is of a different racial or ethnic background, younger or older, male or female, gay or straight, or from another area of the world, I know that I am better as a person when I have a chance for these interactions. In a world that is increasing diverse our appreciation of this diversity is a major asset. I hope students will seek out experiences that broaden their understanding of individuals they may perceive as different from themselves. As a result of that experience they will, without a doubt, become a kinder , smarter and much more successful person.

So maybe next edition I will get back on a theme – or was there a theme here?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree totally with your view on self responsibility especially with your own education. If the student won't commit his or herself to actually learning more about material directly related to their majoor during his or her free time then that time is wasted and will hurt a lot in the long run (i.e. the real world).

I hear a lot of talk from previous graduates about how "worthless" their degree was (especially in the Computer Graphics and Web majors). I don't feel sorry for them mostly because they really didn't seem to show that they cared with the work they did for class. Those same individuals didn't really make time to even join on-campus groups related to their major (ART Club, AIGA, etc.). These were also the same students that complained about having to buy supplies for art classes because they only needed them for two or three semesters.

Most of the material you will need to know in a future job, much less life itself, more than likely will fall on knowledge outside the classroom and beyond the chapters of a textbook. Classes, books and tutorials scratch the surface at best. Going that extra mile to learn something new will help fuel your passion for what you want to do and where you want to be in life.

-past graduate of DSU

9:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree that visiting other countries and experiencing other cultures has a profound impact on your IQ.

It's hard to pin down exactly what it is about these experiences that stays with you long after you leave, but you can feel it.

1:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"....this is definitely a rant", Knowlton I'm sure when you wrote those very words there was a chuckle that followed. I remember that chuckle as if it were yesterday. Keep those blogs and letters coming.
o d green

11:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home