Monday, March 12, 2007

Reflections

For Trojan Times
March 10, 2007

Knowlton’s Notes: Reflections

I am writing this piece sitting at a desk on the fifteenth floor of a hotel in Denver. The view out the window is of a large city with the mountains in the back ground. Denver is a special place for me due to the fact that I did my undergraduate work at the University of Denver. There are lots of memories and lots of new experience in this place. I am here to connect with some alumni from DSU and to be part of an accreditation team at Metropolitan State University.

This morning I drove 50 miles north ( through bumper to bumper traffic – yes there are some draw backs to a city) to visit with a gentleman who graduated from Dakota State (then General Beadle) over 40 years ago. More than four decades and yet he continues to feel a tie to this place in Madison, South Dakota. What is it about our college experience that makes such an impact that 30-40 years later we continue to be connected?

This alum of our university remembers where he stayed, the General Beadle statue, his student teaching and above all else the individual who was so kind to him and helped him get through college. I believe that these connections are so strong because they occur at a time in our life when we are defining ourselves and reaching out to others to support that growth and development.

For me this person was an English teacher. I had the most intense and probably meaningful conversation of my college years with this professor. I was trying to get her to cancel class so we could all attend a Vietnam War protest. I can tell you exactly where the conversation occurred and how I felt when she explained to me that she would never cancel class or support closing the university because the university was crucial to the critical exchange of opposing viewpoints and discussion. To cancel class meant so much more to her than simply the 50 minutes we would spend in that class – it was a symbol.

Recently DSU has had a controversy centered on the tablet computer. I certainly would not imply that the tablet computer dilemma is on the scale of the Vietnam War but it offered an opportunity for dialogue, argument and discussion. Interesting in this day and age some of that conversation has been carried out electronically. I posted a viewpoint on my president’s blog and I am very excited to say that a number of people commented. Some agreed with me and congratulated me others disagreed and pointed out several issues they are concerned about. Yes – the major function of a university.

I am intrigued to think that perhaps this hour long conversation between this 20 year old college student and his English professor might have influenced thinking that led to a career and a position in higher education.

Tomorrow I will reengage with old college friends and we will remember all the things we went through together. Okay yes we will discuss some fun times!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home