Friday, November 09, 2007

Writing

Yesterday, Thursday - November 8, 2007 I had the chance to welcome some faculty from around the region to the Great Plains Alliance for Computers and Writing. It was a very intriquing meeting and it also gave me the chance to reflect on my own journey as a writer. I don't think of myself as a writer and yet when I think about my position and my daily work I know that I spend a great amount of time writing - emails, letters, newsletters and other correspondance.

As most individuals my age I started out writing with a pencil and paper and then in that shared experience I learned to type in a room with 40 students and manual typewriters. It was not a pleasant experience. Yes I am that old - no word processing. When I left for college I had a small portable manual typewriter. I did not use it to write I used it to type after I had written out what I wanted to type. When I went to graduate school I was still typing but using an electric typewriter and "White Out". Then when I got my first job in a medical setting virtually all my "writing" was done with a hand held dictaphone that someone else then transcribed. I thought the writing - cognitively I was processing grammar and punctuation. Transition to faculty member and now composing and writing at a desk top computer. Now all my writing is with my computer and I can edit and compose almost simultaneously. What a different experience or journey this must be for our current students. What does it mean to insert IM language, icons, U tube videos etc.? Not better - not worse just different and I think perhaps more experiential. Hmmmm wonder if the voice recognition will become so sophisticated that this whole keyboard thing will just disappear. Then I will be back to the dictaphone thing!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dickie Selfe said...

Dr. Knowlton,
Thanks for coming to the early sessions of the GPACW. As I was listening to you recount your several writing experiences for the group, it reminded me of the literacy autobiography project in which I'm involved. We are collecting as many literacy narratives (like yours) as possible in a public archive so that literacy researchers and the public can better understand how people have become literate citizens in the past and how literacy is changing in this day and age. So if you ever want to set up an interview and contribute to the archive (Digital Archive of Literacy Narratives), let me know. Of course we'd love to have university presidents represented on out site.

7:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home